Sunday, May 14, 2006

McCain resorts to platitudes

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/05/13/mccain.address/index.html

McCain said Americans have more that unite than divide them.

"We need only to look to the enemy who now confronts us, and the benighted ideals to which Islamic extremists pledge allegiance -- their disdain for the rights of man, their contempt for innocent human life -- to appreciate how much unites us," he said.

You know, living here in Japan for almost two years, you'll get no argument from me. But you would think someone as loved and as brilliant as Senator McCain would take the time out to explain exactly what are those things that are common among Americans, because I don't have a clue. I believe it's there, just like I believe there's a place people go after car crashes and old age. Unlike the latter, though, the former ought to be pointed out in much more detail than what would fit in soundbites and thirty-second spots. I guess I expected more from the senator.