Monday, July 14, 2008

What am I doing?


Guess what? We can't "just be friends." Life is just way too short for that sort of nonsense.

Anyways, now that that's off my chest...

So long since I wrote in here. Here I am, thinking about what story to write next (and to be honest, I haven't thought about fiction for a good long time between the last fanfic try and the short story I wrote a month or so ago). Something about unrequited love. Like Estella-type unrequited love, the kind that will never, EVER be returned. And why not? The things that we will never have are the things we want the most.

I said the same thing to my co-worker. Maybe deep down, I know I will never be really fluent in Japanese, nor will I really be treated like a regular, everyday person while I'm in Japan. But I want it, because, like Cuba Gooding, Jr. in Men of Honor said, they said that I couldn't have it. What in life is more appealing than that?

So what are the lengths we will go in order to follow those desires that will never be fulfilled? I, for one, don't know, since I bounce around from one thing to another. But that's something I'd like to write about, perhaps when NaNoWriMo comes around. Or before then. I dunno.

Other things I'm working on:
  • a half-baked engine assessing the use of Ogden's Basic English in writings
  • another half-baked engine focusing on journal writing
  • a JALT presentation - I'm so afraid someone might steal it I just won't tell you what it is
  • a research project funded entirely out of personal money (unless JALT is kind enough to award a grant)
Current inspirations at the moment include Howard Gardner, Carlos Mencia, some Japanese actor I saw on TV tonight, and the guy who played Romo Lampkin on Battlestar Galactica. Yes, all of them.