Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Always thought it would be there when I got back

If you're back home, you're going to read this and think this writer's the goofiest homer. But when you live out here, and everything about America and New York is a commodity, things seem a bit more valuable.

And man, I didn't even know until I went searching for a YouTube clip. Then I stumbled upon these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3huJ2LKE9AQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUMb7GnC6xw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40EAWeYwX6I

Said Mike Francesa (emphasis mine):
First, I wanted to tell you that I know what you're feeling because I feel it too. I mean, this show has been a major part of my life, I mean, it's been my heart for 19 years. Not everyday is wonderful, not everyday in life is wonderful, but so many of them have been so special. Don't think for a second that I or Dog did not understand how foruntate we have been to have hit everything just right in New York when we were able to create this...

The most important part is when you have someone tell you, "You know, I grew up with your show, I learned about sports listening to your show, you've been a part of my day everyday for twenty years." [...] Frankly, that is what this show has given me for two decades, something very much to look forward to...

19 years is a long time, it's a long time to be part of a team, it's not always easy to be part of a team, it isn't. Maybe it should be...
I was stunned that I was three days late on this story. It seemed so sudden, and yet completely expected from this past June going forward (which means, you bet, there's no way I believe Chris' decision had absolutely nothing to do with WFAN or Mike - maybe a little, but not nothing).

Wherever I go in the world, I always look back at my life in New York, and remember my daily routine. In the twenty months I was back home for my Masters, I drove three to four days a week from Upper Westchester to the West Village for work and classes, listening to WFAN if I was on the way to campus in the afternoon.

I didn't agree with them on many things. Tiger Woods, the '07 Giants, Michelle Wie, Imus, I thought they were on the wrong side (the last one is more complicated, proving personal preferences trump right and wrong most days). And they were bad for soccer, as most everyone on WFAN (and, well, all sports talk radio) is.

That didn't stop me from listening, of course. I'm not going to explain it, but MMD was always part of my drive down to the city. It was essential, period.

So, from way out here in Japan, a long-time listener (no-time caller; I never beat the busy signal) is going to miss Mike and the Mad Dog.