Friday, January 26, 2007

Japanese Language Basics @ Katsucon 2007

I am tentatively scheduled to appear at Katsucon in Washington, DC, February 16-18. The word "tentatively" is used because my panel request has just been accepted today, only three weeks prior, and I have to see if I can move things around to make myself available. If I am free to go, be prepared for the main panel to occur on the Friday afternoon/early evening of the con. I'll have details as plans become clearer.

Honestly, I was prepared not to go; I had heard acceptance letters had gone out earlier in the week, and for a con that I heard didn't have room for a fanfic panel last year (and what anime convention doesn't have a fanfic panel?), I figured I would've been easily squeezed out too.

Nonetheless, I've made a few improvements to the panel presentation from the last time at Anime USA. Some more slides, a few tweaks to the lesson execution, and I plan to have some local information about resources for learning Japanese in the DC area.

Well, stay tuned.

UPDATE - OK, looks like I'll be on my way. The sixth edition of Japanese Language Basics will take place on Friday, February 16th at 5PM. I've also asked for additional panel time to give extra lessons. That will be the free stuff for all Katsucon attendees. Beyond that, private Japanese lessons during the weekend of the convention can be commissioned at $20/hour (half my regular rate). Feel free to email me at roehl.sybing@nyu.edu if you are interested.