Monday, May 29, 2006

Random thoughts: 28-May-2006

So, apparently, there's a problem with viewing this blog on IE. I switched to Firefox a long time ago, when something got into the system that now forces IE to allow all pop-ups, regardless of whether I have the blocker turned on or not. My instinct tells me to tell all of you to switch to a more reasonable browser, but netiquette (an old-school word, I know) compels me to try and find the error, and as a last resort change the template to something that may work better.

I'll be heading home in a few hours, after I teach my last panel, due to end at 3:30PM. I'm ready to sleep in my own bed; I know it's only been two days. You try fighting jet lag for a week, see how flexible you are.

Saturday morning classes when I worked in Japan were perhaps the most demanding of the week, as students were invariably drinking and/or partying the night before to celebrate the end of the work week for them. This morning's Japanese class had a similar feeling. I think the point got across, and some people had fun, no doubt. And it was not boring, I hope. I was concerned, however, with the ambience. After the Saturday night dance and masquerade at Anime Boston, those can only make you not want to get out of bed until noon or so. Maybe the next one will be livelier.

(I will emphasize again: this morning's class was not bad, it was just lacking the spirit of the two classes prior)

I'm so fishing for a commissioned self-portrait of myself, something I can use to advertise my services, as some people have requested during the convention. In Japan, a teacher can get away with teaching English privately at $100 an hour. Here in America, Japanese is in low demand, but teachers, I imagine, seem to be in short supply too. (here belonged a sentence where I suggested a price, but I'm gonna hold back until I get a better idea of what I want to do) Anyways, you're always free to email me if you're interested in instruction and live in the New York area.

Crooks and Liars has an entry on Goldberg and Klein going on about Gore here: http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/05/27.html#a8471. I thought the cotton candy ephemera doesn't come out until one month before Election Day. I didn't know that the former VP learned French. If he did, that's great. If he didn't, I don't really care. This is a non-story.

Train's at 6:30. Definitely catching some sleep then. Maybe I'll miss my stop and end up in Grand Central. Then I'll get really uptight.